Customizing your bridal rings is an option if you find yourself not connecting with the designs at the local jeweler. Sometimes in your quest to find the perfect wedding rings, you discover nothing quite suits your taste. That’s OK.
Customization offers a unique opportunity to create a one-of-a-kind symbol of your love and commitment. You can tailor it specifically to your style and preferences instead of feeling stuck with something you found in the local jeweler’s showroom.
Before you decide whether customizing your bridal rings is the right choice, check out all the information in this blog. We answer some of the most common questions about ring customization, including:
- What are the advantages of customizing bridal rings?
- What are the customization options available for bridal rings?
- How long does it take to customize bridal rings?
- How much does it cost to customize bridal rings?
- What factors should you consider when choosing a custom jeweler?
What are the advantages of customizing bridal rings?
Many couples discover numerous advantages of customizing their bridal rings. If you’re not drawn to any of the designs you’re finding in local jewelry stores, you have options.
Customization is one of them. Here are a few of the reasons happy couples seek out our custom jewelry expertise for their wedding bands.
- Custom rings are conversation starters. When you wear a ring that’s tailor-made to fit your personality, people are naturally drawn to it. They want to know the story behind it. You can share the journey of designing and creating your bridal rings.
- Custom rings add sentimental value. Designing your wedding rings allows you the freedom to incorporate meaningful elements. Maybe you want to add your initials or the date your partner proposed. Perhaps you want to incorporate a gemstone from an heirloom piece. Your custom design jeweler can help you achieve your goals.
- Custom rings provide a perfect fit. Skilled jewelers create rings that feel comfortable and secure, rather than trying to size a pre-designed ring to fit your finger. They account for factors like ring width and band thickness to ensure a comfortable and perfect fit.
Designing a custom bridal set isn’t for everyone. The cost is higher than buying a pre-designed ring from a jeweler’s showroom. It’s also a time-consuming process that requires 100% commitment from you and your partner. Make sure you’re fully committed before diving in.
What are the customization options available for bridal rings?
Customizing your bridal rings gives you more freedom than buying pre-designed sets from a jeweler’s showroom. You can create a unique style that incorporates meaningful elements.
Some of the most requested customizations include:
- Choice of gemstones. Many couples are tossing tradition to the wind by designing bridal rings that incorporate more than the customary diamonds. There’s no hard and fast rule that says you must use diamonds in your engagement ring or wedding band. A custom jeweler can help you create a stunning setting using the gemstones of your choice.
- Choice of ring metal. Some people are sensitive to certain types of ring metals. Others may want a durable metal like tungsten or titanium. Still others may desire to mix metals in their rings to give them a distinct look. Your custom jeweler can help you achieve the look you desire.
- Choice of engravings. Adding personal engravings to your rings is a popular customization. Special dates and initials are some of the most popular options.
- Choice of accent stones or halo. Enhance the center stone on your engagement ring with a halo of smaller diamonds or gemstones to up the sparkle effect of your ring. You can use any gemstones you desire. Consult with your jeweler if you’re unsure which gemstones work best with the rest of your design.
- Choice of antique-inspired elements. Some couples like an antique look and feel to their jewelry. Others prefer a vintage style. You can work with a custom jeweler to pull design aspects from any era to create your wedding set.
If you’re not sure if something you want to include is possible, ask your custom jewelry designer. They can guide you through the process to ensure you get the design you desire.
Incorporating heirloom or sentimental stones
Some couples have heirloom jewelry or other sentimental stones they want to incorporate into their bridal rings. Maybe you have a diamond you want to pull from your great grandmother’s engagement ring. Perhaps you want to pull the rubies from a vintage tennis bracelet to create a halo effect to enhance the center stone in the engagement ring.
Talk with your custom design jeweler about your wishes. Most can find creative ways to safely remove those stones from other jewelry and include them in a stunning design for your bridal rings.
How long does it take to customize bridal rings?
How long it takes to create your customized bridal rings depends on several factors. As a general guideline, you can expect the process to take anywhere between a few weeks to several months.
For this reason, we recommend beginning the custom design process well in advance of your desired timeframe, especially if you have a wedding date in mind.
Some of the aspects that influence how quickly your design comes together include:
- Complexity of the design. Intricate and detailed designs require more time because of their delicate nature. If you’ve requested mixed metals, engraving, or custom-shaped diamonds or gemstones, you can expect the process to take longer.
- Customization options. Requesting numerous customization options affects the overall timeline for completion. Unique gemstones, specific metal combinations, and intricate engravings require additional time to get right. If you select a specific gemstone that’s not readily available, your jeweler must wait for its arrival before they can begin.
- Design revisions. Custom bridal ring designers provide couples with a rendering of the design before beginning work on the rings. If you request changes every time the jeweler presents a design option, it slows down the process. Be clear on what you want to reduce the number of revisions.
- Jeweler’s workload. Ask the custom design jeweler you want to work with about their current workload. If they’re busy with other designs, it can take them extra time to get to yours. They should provide an estimated timeline for completion during your consultation.
How much does it cost to customize bridal rings?
How much it costs to create customized bridal rings depends on several factors, including the complexity of the design and the type of gemstones and metals you choose.
Intricate designs that require advanced craftsmanship and more labor-intensive work to complete are more expensive than simpler designs. They also require the experience and expertise of a master jeweler who may charge higher prices for their craftsmanship skills.
Other cost influencers include:
- Type of materials. Gemstones and metals range in price. If you choose a more durable metal like tungsten, you can expect to pay more than you would for 14K gold. The type, quality, and size of gemstones and diamonds factors in as well.
- Customization options. Limiting your customization options can save you money. Adding accent stones, intricate engravings, and unique design elements increases the price substantially. Make sure you stick with a design that fits your budget.
- Jeweler’s expertise. The skill level and reputation of the custom design jeweler you choose contributes to the overall cost. Highly experienced jewelers charge higher prices for their work, so be sure to ask for an estimate before proceeding with the design phase.
What factors should you consider when choosing a custom jeweler?
Skill and reputation are two of the most important factors to consider when choosing a custom jeweler for your bridal rings. Look for a jeweler with extensive experience and a solid standing. Ask for recommendations and then research any jewelers on your list before hiring them.
Other factors to consider before hiring a custom jeweler:
- Ask to view their portfolio. True masters keep a portfolio of their previous work and customer testimonials. They willingly share both with you on request to help you feel comfortable with their craftsmanship and exceptional customer service.
- Budget considerations. Discuss your budget openly with your custom designer. Make sure they can work within the parameters of your financial limits. Don’t be afraid to ask them how you can maximize your custom design within budget. Most reputable jewelers respect your budget while helping you achieve your desired look.
- Warranties and aftercare options. Inquire about the jeweler’s warranty policy and any aftercare services they provide for your custom bridal rings. Reliable and reputable custom designers cover potential defects and provide maintenance services to keep your rings in optimal condition.
Get your custom designed bridal rings today
John Thomas Jewelers provides exclusive bridal ring jewelry designs for happy couples. We have a reputation as one of the best custom design jewelers in Albuquerque. Our three-step process ensures you’re satisfied with your custom wedding rings.
Stop by our showroom today to talk with our master jeweler about creating the perfect bridal rings for your special day.